- 3 cups green cabbage or Chinese cabbage, shredded
- 3 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 2 large carrots, julienned
- 3 cups bean sprouts
- 3 green onions, finely sliced on the diagonal
- 1/2 cup coriander/cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1/4 cup Asian Fried Shallots (optional), to garnish(Note 1)
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar (Note 2)
- 3 tbsp sou sauce (Note 3)
- 2 tsp fish sauce (Note 4)
- 2 tbsp lime juice (Note 5)
- 3 tbsp peanut oil (Note 6)
- 11/2 tbsp sugar, any type
- 1/2 tsp birds eye or other red chilli, finely diced (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
CHICKEN OPTION(FOR MEAL)
- 3 cup shredded cooked chicken
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a jar and shake well.
- Combine the salad ingredients, except the Asian Fried Shallots.
- Pour over dressing and toss to combine.
- Garnish with Asian Fried Shallots. Serve!
Recipe Notes :
- Crunchy Fried Shallots - crispy fried shallot piece, great garnish for Asian salads. Found in the Asian section of the supermarket but cheaper at Asian stores!
- Rice Vinegar - can sub with cider vinegar or white wine vinegar.
- Soy Sauce - ordinary all-purpose or light soy. Not dark soy.
- Fish Sauce - sub with more soy.
- Lime juice - sub with more rice vinegar.
- Oil - sub with other neutral-flavored oil.
- Storage - keep dressing separate from a salad. Will keep for 3- 4 days ( depending on the freshness of beansprouts).
Nutrition with chicken serving 4 as a meal: